Sunday, February 22, 2009

Countdown to Opening Day...Sort Of

We are just 2 days away from the first game of the 2009 campaign. Well, sort of. The Pirates open up Spring Training play this Wednesday against the world champion Philadelphia Phillies. This is when I start to get excited about the upcoming season. It'll be exciting to see so many different options playing for the Pirates this spring. It'll be interesting to see who the real surprises are this year.


Phil Dumatrait is still being looked at as a starter, instead of a bullpen pitcher. I liked Dumatrait a lot last year. Until his injury, I feel like he was one of the most solid pitchers in the rotation. I will be excited to see him come back this year. At least management hasn't ruled this guy out yet.

I was looking at pictures of Gorzelanny this week on the PG website. He looks a lot thinner than last year and looks to be in great shape. I'm hoping that he is going to pitch the same way he did two years ago. If we can get Snell, Gorzo, and Maholm pitching well, I feel like there are good odds of the Pirates improving on their 67-95 record of last year.

Let's Go Bucs!

No comments:

Post a Comment